Thursday, March 19, 2009

Life Goes On


“I’ll be dancing,” Spalding said. “I’ll be back in the hunt, back trying to train for the channel again. . . . I’m looking forward to the next time I get out there and finish this channel.”
I've never met Mike Spalding. I certainly can admire his swimming accomplishments but I do love him for that comment. That attitude is just what all the rest of us need to take note of. This 61 year old man was attacked by a shark while swimming at night from the Big Island to Maui and he is still strong, committed and optimistic.
I received the email from Linda Kaiser late at night and decided to let Bill sleep but did call him early in the morning. He said he slept like a baby (Bill and his wife Pat never had kids but I know what he meant). Not bothered at all and as ready as ever to swim the Kealaikahiki Channel between Kaho'olawe and Lana'i, he's still stoked and is training hard every day.
I love hanging around people like this.
Makes me feel like I can do anything.
I too am looking forward to Bill's swim. I'll be right next to him paddling, enjoying the scenery and looking out for sharks. I have no clue yet what I'll do if I see one.

No comments: