Sunday, April 6, 2008

Day Four


Day one is a familiar 25 mile paddle. Day two is a 35 mile unknown paddle through a busy commercial shipping and fishing area. Day three is a nerve wracking 20 mile bike along a crowded highway, a remote 6 mile run and a beautiful bike 20 more miles across the North Shore. By day four I'm going to be tired and I'll face the one part of this adventure I have least experience with. That'll be a psychological challenge as well as a physical one. I'm still very much a beginner on a sailboard. The normal confidence I have anywhere in the water might not be there on this final leg.
I've taken an old surf rescue board and added a track for the mast. That's what I'm using now. It's not high performance but it's good for distance and so far, I'm happy with it. It's going to be a long 40 miles down the whole windward side. Let me put it this way; after an exhausting three consecutive days I'll wake up very tired and sore and have to take my novice sailboard skills and do what I think no one else has done - windsurf across the whole windward side of Oahu. This is confounding those who know me. They don't know which way to bet. It's my determination and tenacity against a challenge no novice sailboarder should be attempting.

No comments: